Into the Myst
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 141 on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:50 am
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» this is home
Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 Emptyby Guest Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:20 am

» Tatterdemalion 2.0
Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 Emptyby Guest Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:16 am

» Translucence
Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 Emptyby Guest Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:43 pm

» Fear makes the wolf look bigger
Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 Emptyby Cecelie Atreyu Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:18 am

» Justice Will Serve
Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 Emptyby Hawke Vezzan Fri May 31, 2013 2:45 pm

Credits
Layout design by Corky. Altered banner and background credited to their artist. History, ages, creatures, races and concept art credited to Cyan Worlds and Ubisoft, alterations credited to Corky.
OPEN CBOX

Curiosity Killed the Cat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Roshen Kirkland
Tomahna Head Scientist
Roshen Kirkland

Male
Character Age : 25
Home Age : Uru

Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptySun May 12, 2013 2:30 pm

Dissatisfied with her answer, Roshen let go of the girl roughly and started pacing, muttering to himself and going over calculations in his head. This girl, this silly, mad, broken girl could be on the brink of a scientific breakthrough and she didn't even seem to realize it! He was wide awake now, and his mind was once again racing at the speed of light, touching on this theory or discarding that possibility. Was this why his intuition had seemed to target this girl? Was this what made her so important? Roshen shook his head, he didn't care to think about that right now, it wasn't important. If the Ages were connected... if he could use this knowledge to learn to make Linking Books... well he would be set for life and not only that, he would be able to travel to new Ages and reap the benefits that came from them.

He turned to the girl again frantically. "Let me see your notes!" he said urgently, holding out his hand for the notebook she had been writing in when he found her. Then something dawned on him, could it be that this girl was much smarter than she looked? Could it be that she was only just behind him in intelligence? Could she have been faking those fits of madness to draw him off course!? There was something strange about this girl, he knew that, he had known that from the moment he laid eyes on her, but it seemed that whatever it was about this girl it was vastly more significant than he had originally anticipated. Who was she? What was she?
Back to top Go down
Meesha
Holder of the Art
Meesha

Female
Character Age : 20
Home Age : Tomahna

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptySun May 12, 2013 7:15 pm

She was going to have another mental break down with his behavior. One minute he was yelling, the next tolerating, then now he was upset again…it was fraying at her nerves and she felt her resolve breaking and all she wanted was to sit in a corner and curl up in a ball and hide from all the stress rolling off of him. Meesha didn’t study the things she did to make scientific breakthroughs, she did it because it interested her and it made her happy to learn things. So why he was freaking out over what she had mentioned about the oceans she didn’t understand. Why did it get him so excited and agitated? What did it mean to him? Perhaps she should have not said anything. Why did she always open her big mouth?

She pursed her lips and stepped back, shaking her head “I don’t…they…there” She had left them behind in the laboratory when she took off running, along with her precious shells she realized and suddenly yearned to have them back. He was scaring her all over again and she just wanted to go to the portal, but now she wanted her things “Why is it so important?” She didn’t want him to take her book or her shells, they were the few things she had and cherished. She glanced back then back to him and crossed her arms “There in the lab…but they are mine. I just want them and then to go home” He wouldn't be able to read it anyway, she wrote all her notes in shorthand and used symbols from D'ni she had been taught. It helped keep what she wrote safe from prying eyes.
Back to top Go down
Roshen Kirkland
Tomahna Head Scientist
Roshen Kirkland

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptySun May 12, 2013 7:59 pm

Why was it important? Why was it important!? Was this girl just completely clueless? She seemed smart enough to examine and take evidence but when it came to drawing conclusions and meaning from the evidence she was completely hopeless! Why was she so special? She was and idiot! A mad, silly, little idiot who liked to play at being a scientist. There was no way she was smart enough to fake her own insanity, it had to be real. Roshen pinched the bridge of his nose. She was starting to get on his nerves again.

"It's too late to go back now," he complained, "we're halfway to the portal. You can come and get your things tomorrow, I just want to have a look at your notes." he said, trying to remain professional, but her question came ringing back into his head and it irked him. "And what do you mean, why is it so important!? Of course it's important! Do you think science is just a game that prodigies play to gather evidence and show it on tests to get good review and a few slaps on the back? No! They seem to think it is but it's much more than that! The evidence you gather is knowledge and if you don't do anything with that knowledge or gather wisdom and insight from the evidence then it's completely useless! It is just a game then! Why is it so important." he scoffed. "You really don't know anything, do you?"
Back to top Go down
Meesha
Holder of the Art
Meesha

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 1:55 am

Her shoulders sagged when he said it was too late to retrieve her things, wanting them now and fearing he’d take them and not give them back. She knew she had to return tomorrow to go the Protectors anyway and she supposed this was a good excuse now to enter the Age, but still she was not happy about leaving her things but he frightened her so she wasn’t going to argue “Alright…” She muttered with a bit of a pout. She wanted to tell him there was no point in him looking at her notes because he wouldn’t be able to understand it without her, but she decided since he was being so mean he could figure that out on his own since he was being so insistent at looking them over. Childish perhaps but she had quite a childish mind at times.

When he snapped she shirked back and lowered her gaze. She was not brave, she did not have courage or a backbone against people. Everyone walked all over her and she allowed it, better to be quiet and let people dismiss her then try to draw attention to herself by standing up for herself. Her mother had not been that way, her mother had been very brave and she had none of that. But perhaps she had more of her mother than she thought, because once Roshen’s words sunk in they really bothered her and she looked up at him and met his gaze. People always thought she was an idiot, just a crazy fool, and she didn’t like it “That maybe what science once was but no longer” She said firmly, walking close to him again “I perform science for the love of it, for the thrill of learning for the sake of just knowing. Atrus created Tomahna and brought Prodigies here to broaden their minds and improve the Ages. Now Tomahna just does science for, for money and for prestige and for war and, and competition!”

She spoke with passion and she had no idea where it come from but it came none the less “Knowledge now is just used against people. Not for them” She took in a breath and realized how bold she had been and her eyes widened in her own shock and she backed away from me, glancing down “I’m sorry” She apologized quickly.
Back to top Go down
Roshen Kirkland
Tomahna Head Scientist
Roshen Kirkland

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 8:26 am

Roshen wanted to be rid of this girl, her words were bitter and he knew she was insulting him but he couldn't be angry at her because they were true. No one valued science for what it was anymore, it was all used for power and not knowledge. The only reason he played the game the prodigies seemed to love was to be able to study on his own and have free reign of those he needed. He didn't care anything for power or money, however they were tedious necessities to be able to conduct the experiments he wanted to. He needed money for the equipment and he needed power to be able to experiment on people without consequences, that's why he became the Head Scientist in the first place. He hated constantly searching for the Holders of the Art, bowing to the queen's whims and working late nights on things that he had no interest in. He was a genius in every field of science he encountered, he was known for creating weapons of war that would aid in taking over other Ages once they were discovered. However what he was truly interested in was disease. He loved seeing how the body reacted to certain chemicals and bacteria, he loved seeing how viruses grew and developed and he loved examining which people were more susceptible to which diseases. This was his true motivation, knowledge for the sake of knowledge but he had to play the queen's game to be able to gain this knowledge. The fact that this girl didn't understand that was annoying and naive of her.

"Don't you think I know that!" he shouted, he couldn't help it. He was a genius, he was smarter than any of the prodigies in Tomahna so of course he knew that science was corrupt. "Of course science is about power! That's all people care about anymore, it's human nature! Do you think I like my job? Do you think I like working for and with idiots every day!? Of course I don't! But in this day and age you need power and money to be able to do what you want and I am not about to give up my true passion to remain pure as you might see it. If I have to appear corrupt to the rest of the world I will but I will not be seen as one of them! Get this straight, girl, I value science for the sake of knowledge but I couldn't study what I need to study if I weren't in charge! Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to do what you need to, the sooner you realize that the better!" He was livid and a part of him realized that he was talking himself in circles. The more dominant part of him, however, wondered how a mad girl such as her would react to the disease he had left unfinished in his lab. How could you drive a person already mad into insanity?
Back to top Go down
Meesha
Holder of the Art
Meesha

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyMon May 13, 2013 11:40 pm

She didn’t mean to insult him, she had no idea what had come over her but something in her had surged and snapped and now she regretted being mean. He had been mean to her first sure but she didn’t like revenge, revenge was dark and thick and evil. All she had been taught of Tomahna from the Protectors were horrible things. How they secretly bent to the will of Uru, how they forced people to be Prodigies and never let them see their families again and the horrible weapons and other creations they came up with to harm people. This wasn’t the place her grandfather had first created, but none of the Ages were anymore. They had been ruined by war or greed and there was nothing she could do to help though she wanted too. Her mother had tried to fix things and look what happened to her. The Protectors did not want the same fate for Meesha and neither did she.

She winced when he yelled, her stomach churning unpleasantly and feared he’d grab her again. She had lost the short amount of nerve that had come over her and she went back to avoiding eye contact and crossing her arms as if it might protect her from his anger. “Something’s should not be sacrificed” She whispered, still not looking at him. Even for things you wanted, there were some things you should never give up for it. You didn’t sell your soul for then it is meaningless, if you give your soul away to have what you want then you had no soul left to appreciate what you obtained. “What people need is to stay true to themselves and not bend to the will of others” She glanced away, a frown on her face and just started walking on her own “I-I need to go home now…” Before she ticked him off further since she couldn’t seem to shut her mouth.
Back to top Go down
Roshen Kirkland
Tomahna Head Scientist
Roshen Kirkland

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyTue May 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Roshen watched the girl walk away in utter indifference. He didn't care anymore, he simply didn't care. So what if she were special? She had a chip he could use to locate her. So what if she died? That would be just one less insane person and the world and that was alright with him. Besides, he had a feeling she'd make it home, he didn't know why, but he did. He stood still, ignoring her words and watching her go, he didn't really feel like moving at the moment and the fog of exhaustion was beginning to settle over his mind once again. What time was it? He looked up at the sky to see that it was becoming lighter. All night, he had been up all night. Well, damn.

Once the girl was out of sight Roshen turned and headed back to the lab. He walked slowly and deliberately, stumbling every now and then from how tired he was. He didn't hurry, he had no reason to, once he got back to the lab he wouldn't be able to sleep, he had work to do and the queen would be furious if he missed a day. Roshen had never wanted to sleep so badly in his life though, the events of the night were running through his mind, fogging his thoughts and the only thing that seemed as though it would be able to clear them was sleep. He had stayed up all night before, in fact he had once gone two whole days without any sleep at all and been completely fine. However, this was different. His mind was full and it needed to be emptied, he needed a clean slate, a fresh start, a way of looking at things more clearly. Roshen found himself passing the lab and going back to his quarters. He didn't care if the queen fired him, or threw him in jail, or yelled at him. Odds are she wouldn't call on him today, she was busy enough with her own affairs. Roshen arrived at his room and fell heavily onto his bed fully clothed, his eyes closed and he retreated into unconsciousness and dreams. He didn't care about anything right now. He was just too tired to.
Back to top Go down
Meesha
Holder of the Art
Meesha

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyWed May 15, 2013 9:07 pm

She all but ran once she went through the portal and to J’nanin. She went into the village then just found herself standing there for a while clueless what to do or where to go. She eventually went to her friend Eria’s home, she knew she and her family would take her in without question, though they wondered why she seemed so skittish and was wet but she merely said she was tired and went to sleep, though sleep she hardly did. All she could think about was what had happened with Roshen, and her notebook still there and what would happen If she returned…but she did decide that she had to return to the Protectors, she really couldn’t put it off, they needed to know so they could help her on what to do. Sleeping only a bare two hours she was up again, borrowing a dress from Eria and ate a good breakfast before setting back to Tomahna with a knot in her stomach.

She had never been there during the day, with people milling about and walking in and out of rooms. People looked at her curiously, whispered among themselves but there was no finger pointing or alarm going off like she had always imagined. New Prodigies weren’t common but they weren’t rare, so most people didn’t pay her too much mind for too long. She scurried along and back into the lab she had been before, a few people there but once they glanced at her to see who it was they went back to their work. Thankfully her notebook and shells were still there and she quickly gathered them, sighing in relief. Now she could go home.
Back to top Go down
Roshen Kirkland
Tomahna Head Scientist
Roshen Kirkland

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 7:46 am

Roshen did not sleep nearly as long as he expected he would, but he felt fully rested all the same. He imagined it was because he had slept so deeply though he didn't have time to dwell on that. Quickly, he changed clothes and headed back to the lab in Tomahna. Sleep had been the thing he needed, as expected it had banished the fog from his mind and he could now think clearly. Today would be like any other day in his mind. He would work on what the queen needed him to work on and after that he would check up on the girl from the night before. He had completely forgotten that he meant to look over her notes until he entered the room he had first encountered her in.

It was a strange feeling, seeing her there in almost the same way he had caught her the night before. It was like Deja Vu or a weird dream. However this time the halls weren't deserted and dark, people were milling about going about their work and daily lives. This time it wasn't just him and her in the lab, this time there was even another prodigy working with a microscope in the corner. Roshen paid him no mind though. He was disappointed that he wouldn't be able to look at her notes but he didn't feel up to causing a scene so he stepped aside. "Get your things and go." he said coldly.
Back to top Go down
Meesha
Holder of the Art
Meesha

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyThu May 16, 2013 4:01 pm

She turned when he walked into the room, staring at him fearfully as the Prodigy in the room nodded their head respectfully to the man before curiously staring between Meesha and him, wondering what was happening and it was evident this tiny event would be hot gossip soon enough among the others. Meesha expected him to do something, yell at her or snatch away her notebook or something else equally as rough, but he merely stepped aside and told her to go. Was it a trick? She was afraid to pass him, even with someone watching she still didn’t think that would stop him from trying to grab her and hurt her but she had to get out of the room somehow.

She swallowed hard and forced herself to walk forward, her steps careful and hesitant as she moved forward. She glanced to him as she walked past and out the door, then over her shoulder, wanting to keep her eyes on him. He was just going to let her go? Just like that? What happened to him demanding to see her notes and all the questions about the oceans she had mentioned? She had no clue but she slowly looked forward and started to walk away.
Back to top Go down
Roshen Kirkland
Tomahna Head Scientist
Roshen Kirkland

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 7:39 am

Roshen watched her as she went, then he looked to the prodigy sitting wide eyed staring at him. "That girl does not belong here," he said calmly. "It is as simple as that so quit gawking and get back to work." He left the room then. He knew that episode, small and insignificant as it was would soon be the talk of the entire lab. The prodigies often found that the lab was mundane and boring, many despised the work and longed for the companionship of their families. Roshen agreed with them that the work the queen demanded was tedious and pointless but he thought them fools for not being as creative as he and conducting their own experiments. Well, that was just it... they weren't playing the game as he was, they were just trying to live and this episode would offer an enticing piece of gossip that they could feed on for a while. Fools, all of them were fools.

After leaving the room, Roshen went straight to his office where he busied himself with setting up the tracking device. The girl would more than likely not be off the grounds at this point however the sooner he got the technology up the better. As he finished putting in the information of the chip he smiled to see that one his computer screen was a map of Tomahna and a little red dot indicating where the girl currently was. He zoomed in and watched the dot move down the halls out of the lab stiffly as if the girl the dot represented were afraid of being caught. Roshen sat down and watched the dot move across the map. All he had to do now was wait and see where it went.
Back to top Go down
Meesha
Holder of the Art
Meesha

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 3:32 pm

She had never traveled to the Protectors during the day. Since it was so hot in Tomahna she only traveled by night, using a compass and lantern to help guide her but now she would have to travel with the sun on her. It was still early in the morning and still cool enough from the night so she felt if she hurried fast enough she could make it with only a little time of dealing with the blistering heat. So she began her trek across the desert landscape, the first hour wasn’t so bad but the last forty five minutes were steadily getting brutal. She should have brought water or borrowed a large hat or something but she hadn’t thought to plan those things, all she had wanted was to get her things and go home.

Soon she saw the Memory Chamber coming into view, the only place in all of Tomahna that had greenery and using her last bit of energy she started running towards it and soon not only did she see the Memory Chamber but the tents of the encampment. As she approached the Protectors came near, watching her worriedly and she stopped before them, panting and sweating. They knew immediately something was wrong and one of the women stepped towards her “Child, what is wrong?” She asked, touching Meesha’s face and she had to pant a bit to catch her breath before speaking , a frowning touching her lips “Something happened” She gasped out.
Back to top Go down
Roshen Kirkland
Tomahna Head Scientist
Roshen Kirkland

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 3:59 pm

It took a long time for the little red dot on the computer screen to reach its destination, and Roshen spent most of the time working on the disease he had so longed to perfect the night before. In fact, he payed little attention to the computer screen for almost two hours, merely checking it every now and then to see if the girl had reached her destination. At last he finished perfecting the strand of his new virus, he carefully tucked it into a test tube where it could not harm anybody and began gathering his notes. This was a huge success, now all that was left to do was to find someone to test it on. The people in Eder Kemo were always worthy Kemo Fish substitutes, he had released many viruses and diseases into that area before. Some had even spread to Teledahn but that was of no concern to him for he could always cure them if the queen ordered him to.

As Roshen was making plans to go to Eder Kemo to release the virus he looked down at the computer screen and noticed that the red dot had stopped moving. So, the girl had reached her destination and what's more, it was a destination that was still with in Tomahna. She had been lying when she said she was from J'nanin then. Roshen sat down and looked at the map, he nearly blanched. The girl had stopped in the domain of the Protectors. No one went there anymore unless they wanted to use the memory chamber and even then very few people were admitted. This was definitely worth investigating, he would wait a while and then he would go on the pretense of an order of the queen or some other official business to see if he could find out what that strange girl was doing in the company of the Protectors.
Back to top Go down
Meesha
Holder of the Art
Meesha

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptySat May 18, 2013 2:34 pm

The Protectors had not been happy when she told them what had happened. They had told her time and time again to not go into Tomahna, but Meesha of course hadn’t listened very well. They asked her question after question about what exactly had happened, every little detail and word spoken. They told her she was to stay with them for a while until hopefully she was forgotten and things died down and Meesha had no problem following their directions this time. She was still shaken about being confronted by the head scientist and all she wanted was to hide away and feel the safety she did among her family. Once they were done drilling her and gently reprimanding her she was allowed to turn in and get some rest from her long day and morning.

She went to the tent she had grown up in, that had served as her room her entire life after her mother died. She gently put her notebook and shells down and then got into her small bed to sleep. Everything would be alright…that’s what the Protectors told her, that it would all be well and why not believe them? They had never steered her wrong before. She would remain here for a while then she could venture out again and this time she’d make sure not to make any more foolish mistakes.
Back to top Go down
Roshen Kirkland
Tomahna Head Scientist
Roshen Kirkland

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 9:54 am

Roshen tried very hard to focus on his work the rest of the day, but his mind kept going back to the girl and where she was. He knew that it would be smart to wait a while before going to interrogate the Protectors, but he was anxious. He was so close to finding out this girl's secret and yet there were still so many things that could go wrong. He was still unsure as to the extent of the girl's intelligence and even though he was sure she was truly mad, underestimating her could be a fatal move. His own mother was an example of how clever the insane could be, how cunning and how dangerous. Roshen would have to plan out his next move carefully and be sure to cause as little suspicion as possible in the Protectors.

A little past noon, Roshen could not take it anymore. He packed a few things and set off for the territory of the Protectors. Going on foot would take a very long time but he figured that it was probably safest to go on foot as he would be more undetected that way. It was a hot day and he had exhausted his water supply even before he had made half the journey but that did not deter him. Finally, as the sun was sinking low in the sky he could see the memory chamber and the tents of the Protectors. He quickened his step and prepared to confront them and find out all he could about the strange, insane girl.
Back to top Go down
Meesha
Holder of the Art
Meesha

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyMon May 20, 2013 10:31 pm

Meesha slept heavily throughout the day, her body missing out on too many hours of sleep. Once she woke up she walked around the encampment and spent some time with the Protectors, listening to whatever stories they had to tell her and sharing her own. She ate and bathed and just overall felt relaxed. When she left the security here she always had to look over her shoulder, to be careful what she said and did and to not trust anyone, but here she could be herself. She held no burdens or worries and it was a relief to just be among people who really knew her. At the moment she sat in her tent finishing her notes from the night before, when she heard the commotion outside and peeked slightly to see.

The Protectors knew their land…people said they knew everything. So when Roshen was still forty five minutes away, oh they knew he was coming and they were plenty prepared when he arrived. When he neared camp they descended, like ghosts they appeared and surrounded him in a circle, pointing there spears at him and glaring him down. “You are not welcome here, head scientist” One of them spoke, the woman who had tended to Meesha earlier “You will leave”
Back to top Go down
Roshen Kirkland
Tomahna Head Scientist
Roshen Kirkland

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyTue May 21, 2013 8:52 am

As seven stoic figures descended upon and surrounded Roshen he realized with a sick feeling that this visit would produce little, if any, information. Even if he did succeed in interrogating the girl or even leaving with her, she would not give any information about who she really was. He would have to draw her out instead of confronting her, keep a close eye on her and question those who knew her but did not know him. She must have friends in J'nanin, those people would not recognize him as the Head Scientist and he could go there under the pretense of being concerned for her. That is what he should have done from the start, but he was here now and it would look even more suspicious if he simply left. Besides, since he had made this journey he was determined to gain some knowledge from the visit, even if it was a very small piece of information, he would not leave here empty handed.

Roshen remained calm even as seven spears were pointed straight at his neck. If he lied, would these people believe that he was one their side? Probably not, he would have to play this by ear, but that was alright with him. He laughed when on of the Protectors spoke. Her statement was utterly ridiculous, yes he would leave but not until he got some answers. "Or what? You'll kill me?" he laughed again. "That wouldn't be a very wise move on your part. You people may separate yourself from the rest of Tomahna, but you are not above the law. Kill me and you'll bring the wrath of the Queen down upon yourselves and I doubt you want that... especially with all that you have to lose..." Roshen smiled as he looked around at the stony faces of the Protectors. If looks could kill he knew he would be lying dead and bloody on the ground, however they could not and so the glares of these primitive people had no effect on him.
Back to top Go down
Meesha
Holder of the Art
Meesha

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyThu May 23, 2013 12:04 am

The Protectors looked unmoved by his bravado. Did people really think they knew so little about the world of Myst? “It was not wise to kill Yeesha, but yet it was still done” The same woman spoke with bitterness in her voice, directly pressing the spear against his neck “Sometimes unwise decisions are made” It was all threat, a serious threat and the woman continued to glare “We are above all law, head scientist. Your law is not ours. We live by our own rulings and care little for what others believe. Besides, Uru is hardly the correct Age to learn what is right or wrong” If there was one Age the Protectors truly mistrusted and hated it was Uru. They knew the head scientist had secret ties with it and they would not treat him with any kindness. He did not deserve it.

A slight chuckle went around the circle and the woman smirked “You are humorous, head scientist, your queen would not hesitate to kill you if you even marginally displeased her. You are expendable. Others can replace you” His threat did nothing for them and the woman pressed the spear even more against his neck “You came here hastily. No one knows you are here. You did not tell anyone, so no one will know if you are dead and we leave you out for the vultures to eat” The seven men and women smirked “Now tell us why you are here.”
Back to top Go down
Roshen Kirkland
Tomahna Head Scientist
Roshen Kirkland

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyThu May 23, 2013 9:11 am

Damn! They were right, Roshen felt his bluff slip between his fingers as the spear was pressed uncomfortably against his neck. How dare they treat him this way!? Not because of his title, title's didn't matter to him except to help him get what he wanted, no, how dare they treat him this way because of his intellect. He was a genius and he was sure that he was smarter all of these people put together. The thing that Roshen valued above everything else was intellect and knowledge. He was painfully aware that the world was corrupt, ranks had to do with blood. If you were born into poverty then you would remain in poverty and if you were born into luxury, you would remain thus. Roshen saw this and he hated it, he had a very different idea of how the world should work, he believed wholeheartedly that those who were of exceptional or above average intellect were the ones who should be revered as kings and queens. Let the daft and foolish wretches of the world wallow in poverty and play Kemo Fish to the scientist and intellectuals whose rightful place was to rule over him. He was sure that if such a world existed he would be worshiped as a god. However this particular fact was of little importance to him.

His blood boiled as the spear was pressed closer against his neck, any further and it would break skin. Automatically he stepped back, disgusted, only to meet with more spears pointing into his back. Roshen assessed the situation and realized with biting clarity that he was cornered. His mind raced and he cursed his own recklessness. What could he tell them? If he told him he was searching for a girl they would wonder how he knew she was there and he would be forced to tell them about the chip. That could not happen. That absolutely could not happen. Roshen began to panic and he fought to calm himself, he had to think of something to tell them and fast. Perhaps he could mention the memory chamber, but what would he gain by using that and would they even let him? It was better than the truth. "I came to investigate the Memory Chamber," he said calmly.
Back to top Go down
Meesha
Holder of the Art
Meesha

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptySat May 25, 2013 11:01 pm

The Protectors never understood other people. All the Ages thought they were above the others, that something about them made them so much more special than everybody else. It was this personal hierarchy that caused war, something that disgusted the Protectors. No Age was better than the other, Atrus had not seen this clearly and perhaps even Yeesha hadn’t either. But the Protectors did not see any Age as better or any person as better. They functioned viewing one another exactly the same no matter if one was better or less at something, but the rest of Myst was selfish. They could see the truth of Roshen, which was why they did not trust him. A man who held himself in so much regard could never be trusted, men like him only looked out for themselves.

The Protectors could not help but feel smug when he finally realized his little ploy was not going to win them over and that he had no power in their presence. “You lie again, head scientist. But even if you were not, you cannot see it. Only those with pure intentions may be allowed near such a sacred place. You have no purity in any degree. You are dark and tainted…we will not allow you anywhere near such a place” The Protectors in front of him poked him with their spears “Go” They demanded. Meesha frowned from the tent, still watching carefully. She knew the Protectors were peaceful people but she also knew how dangerous they could be if pushed. Even though Roshen scared her she never wished for anybody’s death and did not want to see him harmed.
Back to top Go down
Roshen Kirkland
Tomahna Head Scientist
Roshen Kirkland

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyTue May 28, 2013 7:36 am

Roshen cursed under his breath. Perhaps it was better to comply with their wishes, flee to fight another day and take action from behind the scenes. He now knew that flaunting his position would not work with these people and if he were going to find out who the girl was he would have to work in subtle ways, watching her and waiting for her to slip up and reveal something about herself. Even the most careful people could not be careful all the time, there would be a time when she thought she was safe and confided in somebody and when that time came, Roshen would be aware of it and he would gain the knowledge he needed so very badly. This was becoming an obsession and he would not be satisfied until he found out all he could about this girl. He knew exactly what he needed to do now, his mind was no longer fogged by anxiety and impatience and the way ahead was clear. Roshen held back a smile by focusing on the spears that surrounded him, he may have lost the battle but he was going to win the war and he didn't want the Protectors seeing that he knew this.

Roshen sighed impatiently and put his hands up in defense, preparing to surrender to the will of the Protectors before they killed him. But just before he was about to speak, something caught his eye. In one of the tents a ways from where he was standing he saw the object of his obsession staring out at him in fear and apprehension. Roshen made eye contact and held her gaze steadily, she was looking straight at him and through that same intuition that told him she was important, he knew that she did not want the protectors to kill him. Would this dissuade them from doing so? Did she have the power to stop them from slaying them even though his death would be to her benefit? Roshen was as shaken as he was relieved. Relieved because he felt he had a leg up on the Protectors, if they granted the wishes of this girl, he would live. And he was shaken because she did not want him dead. Why not!? He had pursued her all the night before and now came back to torment and interrogate her, how could she possibly see his death as anything but beneficial? Perhaps she was just that pure of heart that anyone's death would cause her grief. Roshen relaxed, this must be it and this only added to his advantage. A girl so innocent and pure of heart would never be able to wish his death no matter what he did to her. This made him untouchable once again.
Back to top Go down
Meesha
Holder of the Art
Meesha

Female

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 1:06 pm

When his hands raised in surrender the Protectors were satisfied that he would leave. Good, they wanted him away from them and away from Meesha. They would not trust him no matter what he said or did and they knew even once he left they would have to stay sharp about him. They knew he had come here for Meesha, he was suspicious about her and now they would have to be more cautious than ever before about her. There initial plan to keep her here for a few months now had to change, for if a man like the head scientist was interested in her then this would not blow over in time. Perhaps it would be wiser to send her away and keep her from Tomahna as much as possible, perhaps Riven? No one dared go to Riven, the Rivenese were ruthless but they trusted the girl as much as they could trust a foreigner and would keep Meesha for a few months…yes, perhaps that was the plan they should go with now to keep her safe.

When his eyes locked on hers, Meesha froze and shirked back into the tent. He did scare her and she knew he wasn’t a good person but…she couldn’t stand to see someone be harmed no matter what they had done to her or anybody else. Her mother had been the same, Yeesha had seen Uru become greedier and more destructive but instead of using her power to just destroy there linking book she had let them be. Atrus, Yeesha and now Meesha were creators, not destructors; they had kind hearts that were both beneficial and also dangerous to themselves. She peeked her head out again to look at him as the Protectors prodded and poked him with their spears “Go!” They demanded, shifting in the way to block his gaze from Meesha and glared angrily “Go!” They repeated in warning that the girl was not his concern.
Back to top Go down
Roshen Kirkland
Tomahna Head Scientist
Roshen Kirkland

Male

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 EmptyThu May 30, 2013 8:00 pm

His last resort had failed. Yes it was desperate and probably foolish but he had expected it to go a little better than that. He sighed and started on his way. "I'm leaving." he growled at the protectors as they persisted in poking him with their spears. He quickened his pace to get away from them and left fuming and frustrated. Well, at least he knew what he was up against. He was sure that the Protectors knew he was there for the girl and he also knew that they would go to every precaution to protect her. This would prove to be difficult in finding out who she was but Roshen did have one advantage. One tiny nearly microscopic advantage that gave him the power to know where the girl was, whenever he needed to. No matter where they sent her into hiding, Roshen would know, be it the jungle of Riven or the serene atmosphere of Myst Island itself. Roshen would be able to get her whereabouts at the touch of a button.

What's more is that Roshen now knew the path he needed to pursue. He would travel the Ages and gather information about this mysterious girl. He would start in J'nanin and work his way around from there, he would even question the prodigies to see she had snuck into the lab before, one particular prodigy may have just the information he needed. As Roshen got closer to his home he became more confident in his goal. He had a multitude of resources all at his fingertips and he had the brains to figure out just how to use each and every one of them to his advantage. Roshen was an optimist at heart, he believed that so long as he set his mind to it, he could conqure any obstacle and come out on top in any fight. It is not exaggerating at all to say that he believed he could take over the entire world if he wanted to, not just Myst but all the Ages that had ever existed. Roshen put himself on the same level as a god and in that moment it was more apparent than it had ever been. With each step he grew prouder and already ideas were starting to form in his head, he had a wide manic grin on his fact and anyone who saw him would have thought him mad. Let the Protectors try to shield that girl from him, he would find her and he would find out who she was if it killed him! They may have driven him away, but it was not over. The war was just beginning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curiosity Killed the Cat   Curiosity Killed the Cat - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Curiosity Killed the Cat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Into the Myst :: Tomahna :: Laboratory-